Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Musing Number One

It occurs to me that social computing is a pretty selective activity. I have to wonder, as someone who considers herself to be quite social via electronic media AND in person, how it has come to be that those who are not as social online tend to look down upon the lifestyles created by online communities, online friendships, online anything.

Is this something that others have found, either with significant others in their lives, or friends (the misnomered "real-time" friends), or family members who disdainfully proclaim, "you spend so much time on that COMPUTER, why don't you get out more?!"....? It's a question I've pondered for years....

Comments and experiences are more than welcome....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anything that is unknown tends to be treated with caution and even frighten some. Perhaps this is what is happening.

On another topic, the selectivity you mention is something I've commented on in the section of my blog called: Time & Attention Management

Nia said...

I might be that person that looks down on the online community....However, it it not really due to the fear of the unknown...It seems to me that i am unable to get the human gratification that I obtain with face to face contact...Emoticons in the online community do not cut it for me.....Often it is so frustrating to really communicate my thoughts in writing...I like hearing someone's voice, shaking someone's hand...In an online environment I almost feel like I am trapped in a box...But please do not get me wrong, I see may positive things in the online environment from teacher's point of viw!

Anonymous said...

Nia, I don't think online communication is meant to replace offline relationships. Its different, offers new possibilities just like the phone did not so long ago.